If you love spending time in your garden, this is a must-read to help you stay healthy, injury and pain-free.
Do You Avoid Gardening Because It Hurts Your Back, Hips, or Knees?
If you answered yes, here are a few helpful tips for pain-free gardening! Use the following techniques when lifting and lowering the load…
- Lift with your legs, not with your back
- Bend at the waist and keep your back straight
- Keep objects close to your body
- Keep your feet shoulder width apart
- Use your core muscles by pulling your belly button into your spine
- Avoid twisting your whole body to move the load
- Use proper tools
- Use long-handled tools to avoid constant bending
and/or overextending your reach
- Use a wheelbarrow to transport soil or mulch
- Keep tools sharp and in good shape to reduce the
effort needed to complete the task
General Tips to Prevent Overuse Injury
- Spread gardening work over several days
- Alternate tasks and change position every 30 minutes
- Take breaks and stretch frequently
- Use proper footwear
- Use knee pads when kneeling
- Ask for help from a family member or friend if needed
- STAY HYDRATED!